Frequently Asked Questions

Can my family members benefit from my U visa?

Yes. Family members can be derivatives under a U visa. The U visa principal must petition on behalf of the qualifying family members.

Is there a fee to apply for the U visa?

No. The U visa exists to protect the well-being of victims of criminal activity. For this reason the federal government waives any petition fee.

How do I get a certification for my U visa?

You must obtain a certificate from a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, prosecutor, judge or other authority that investigates and prosecutes criminal activity.

How long will my U visa last?

A U visa is only good for up to four years. However, extensions are available if your presence is necessary to continue to assist the investigation into the crime.